Sunday, April 29, 2012

Objectification




In this project we were put in a group and was told to take an object and to make a performance piece on it. Our group decided for our object to be the identity. We want to do a piece on identity and how we put our identity like we put on make-up.  We felt like everyday people put on a character when they go out into the public.

We started by deciding to shoot a video of us putting on different identities than ourselves. We all choose extreme identities to portray. I choose a drag queen because a drag queen portrays a strong woman identity.  These men put on a character of what they feel like their enter woman would be like. So I portrayed a man portraying a strong woman. Sounds complicated doesn’t it? Well it’s hard to explain, I have always had a strong connection to gay men and I have a few friends who do drag so I have always been in that world. I feel intrigued how these men portray strong women and I think real women could take inspiration on how to be strong from drag queens. We as a group chose to do snapshots so it would have the effect of us moving. We shot over our shoulders and captured or face in a mirror. We felt like that would feel more personal, like you are standing over someones shoulder watching them.

I feel the video portrays the idea of normal people putting on extreme identities.  I feel Courtney shot the video and put it together beautifully. I feel like our group worked together to convey our idea of identity and it all came together perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment